Sunday, November 13, 2011

Lake Nakuru


Hello to all of my friends and family! I apologize for being so MIA on my blog recently – things got so insanely busy here every day since our return from Lake Nakuru National Park! Even though I think I will always be partial to the incredible majesty of the Serengeti, Lake Nakuru definitely is a close second and couldn’t be more opposite. The drive to the park was an incredible adventure as we stopped to over look the Great Rift Valley – something that even if you don’t know what it is, still stirs a memory.
 We also got to travel through the outskirts of Nairobi – which was really exciting, since I have been wanting to see Nairobi since I have arrived. The town was full of a mysterious mix of rural living which quickly transitioned into an enormous city crammed with tall buildings with an extreme mixture of culture. There were several masques throughout the city, which over towered with their palace infrastructure  – which looked just like the palace in Aladan. One of the most interesting experiences happened as we stopped for a “snack break” at a common franchise called “Tuskies” – which is the African walmart. I instantly had a severe bought of culture shock towards “American” culture (Ironic since I was still in Africa…) which was brought on from the rows and rows of packaged foods, a bakery, beloved dairy items, new clothing and even a room of TV’s. I literally had to stand there for several minutes and take in what I was seeing before I looked around further. I can’t even imagine what the culture shock would be like for an African travelling to America for the first time. I am getting exponentially worried for my return to the US – heaven knows I won’t know what to do with fast food or shopping malls…



Lake Nakuru is extremely different than any of the other national parks we have visited so far. First of all, it is the only entirely fenced park in Kenya, and the town of Nakuru reaches right up to the fence. This park however, instead of having vass expanses of savanna – trees, bushes and forests cover the park. And best of all, is a huge lake (hence the name) that lies in the middle. The lake is within the top 5 most beautiful sights I have ever seen, and probably ever will. As you look towards it, the surface is covered in spotted pink and white, which is hard to distinguish until you drive right up and see that the mass of cover is from millions of pelicans and flamingoes, in which the park derives its’ status as a “birders paradise”.
 Another amazing aspect of the park is it is home to one of the largest Rhino populations in the world. I was able to watch these majestic – ancient beasts roam the plains at a close distant. All together I was able to spot 19 white rhinos – two of which were infants: a blessing which few other individuals will ever be lucky enough to behold. One look out particularly stands out in my mind as it looked over the lake and flocks of pelicans as well as the thick acacia forests with hyraxs lounging nearby and a troop of baboons carrying on with their daily drama as well as enjoying the view. 



Our camp was often surrounded by buffalo and baboons raided the trash everyday and one day a rhino was even a few hundred meters. We were also on expedition during Halloween! We all made make shift costumes and got to drive around on Safari with our ridiculous clothing. My friend Amy and I attempted to answer the age old question of pirates or ninjas – she was a pirate (complete with machete) and I was the ninja (in all black with face paint and a ninja knife). We also got to carve pineapples, squashes and watermelon, as well as tell ghost stories by the campfire while roasting marshmallows. Definitely the best Halloween I have ever had!  More to come shortly – there is so much to talk about that I am going to break it up this time. Thinking and praying for you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment