Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tanzania - Oh How You have Claimed my Heart



Serengeti Sunset

One of the terrible things about being in Africa is it is terribly easy to give your heart away. To the people, animals, music, smell, landscapes and even food.

Another mysterious African Beverage 

 I knew the day was coming, but I was in denial for a while. Our group was scheduled to leave Tanzania and switch to Kenya for the remaining of the semester.

 
I still feel torn as I had made so many friends in Tanzania that I was just beginning to get to know so well and come to love. The staff here have been the best, often bringing me to tears with their sentiments or on going jokes we have. Moses, who we call “fairy god Moses”, is a close friend as he runs the duka (store) and is just a joy to be around at all times. 

Livingston is one of the drivers, who often made me laugh til I cried. 
Livingston                   - - Kioko - -            Moses and John
Paskali doesn’t speak english, but was always one to hang out and try a game of volley ball. 
Paskali                            Christian and Julie
Mwanhanga, my environmental policy professor, was at first hard to understand. But as time passed he became the person who cared for our group the most. During the debrief for our leaving he had us all give up and he said “ and now we shall hug”. Christian, my Wildlife manager professor, had his girlfriend and her daughter visit (who only speak german) and I got to spend significant amounts of time with the 7 year old.
Christian

We both cried when we had to part and Christian told me that she really wants to email me because she was so sad. 
Julie                                           Primary School Children

Kioko, my ecology professor, is very dear to me. He is one of the smartest, kindest people in the world, and has invited me to his house while I am staying in Nairobi so that I can meet his family. John, the intern, I got to know very well, and will miss sharing so many laughs and games with,

John brushing his teeth on a bike ride...

Yohana always had stories to tell, coming from the Maasai - and even taught me how to throw a spear. 

Yohana Skinning a goat                          Akari Bura with at Prom

 Askari Bura was always singing and make us laugh til we peed with his impressions of himself bashing Hyenas in the Serengeti.

I have many friends at the secondary town and many of the children know me. Tanzania, with its’ upshoot of banana plants everywhere one looks, with rolling hills and lush bushes and trees. I really miss it even now, thinking about all of the memories left behind. One of the interns in Kenya but it nicely. Because Tanzania was the first African country I visited, it will surely always claim my heart. I truly believe this. I have felt such a connection here, that I am sure I will come back.

Even though I knew I was leaving the place that I had called home the last two months, I knew that Kenya would be amazing as well – possibly better (even though I am too stubborn to consider it). The mixed feelings of being so incredibly torn and sad with the excitement of another unknown adventure left me feeling confused and frustrated at not knowing how to deal with my feelings. Many of the students were completely ready to move on from Tanzania – but I felt as though my true adventure there had just begun.


As we stopped at the border to cross immigration into Kenya and trade cars and meet the other SFS group, it hit me that I was actually leaving. The travelers I am sure wondered what was going on as tears poured unstoppably down my face.

We arrived to the new camp, in Kimana Kenya a few hours later. I knew as I stepped out of the cars that once again, this place would capture my heart and sink into my very soul. And I would again have to endure being ripped from its’ embrace come December.
Painting the Landscape

The first thing I saw is Mt. Kilimanjaro in all its’ glory reaching far into the sky with ice capped peak. This is a rare sight so close to the rainy season as often clouds surround the vase mountain. The camp is a huge expanse of land with an acacia forest, river, soccer and volley ball court and tons of ground for exploring. Baboons were traveling across the courtyard, minding their own business. The Bandas and Chumba are made out of wood hatching, giving them a distinctive ethnic feel. An owl sits high in one of the acacia trees, overlooking the new comers. And we hear stories of black mambas and bush babies causing catastrophes during the night. This place tastes of the magic of wildlife and nature bursting in every corner.
 
Erica and I wearing Iraqw Wedding Skirt               Psaddy Cake with Maasai Child

The first few days here we took hikes out through a desert landscape to learn about the ecosystems found here. These adventures brought us to the most incredible views of the African Savanna were you could spy the perfect circles of Maasai bomas in the distance. The hike today took us through lands where giraffes and zebra were causally making their way across the passage way.

I feel like I have only just got here, but we again are leaving for another expedition! This time we will be traveling to Lake Nakuru – the land of a million flamingoes, teaming with Rhinos.


 
Mural Painting at the Orphanage

I feel that throughout life, you normally expect things, and live life with either the fulfillment of those expectations, or disappointment. However, here in Africa everyday is far outreaching my highest expectations and proving to me just how much I can learn, enjoy and take in here.  

John being John

No comments:

Post a Comment