Sunday, November 20, 2011

Boma la Tumaini


     I know you may be thinking by now that I am definitely not on top of this blog – but let me assure you, it is for good reason. The last few weeks have been very hard as I have been trying to find the words to formulate a blog that can express the darker side to Africa that I am just beginning to get to know. I finally just decided to put all of the things that have been on my heart, and likewise hard to process, into one entry.
      First of all, as you may or may not be aware – Kenya has recently proclaimed war on Somalia due to "Africa's most fearsom Islamic militant groups", the Al Shabab, who has been kidnapping tourists and foreigners. Kenya sent troops across the border to try to eradicate this terrorist group, however, they do not have the necessary funds to continue this war. They have been supported by the US, as we have sent special forces into the border, but Somalia has still threatened to bomb Kenya if they do not withdraw the troops, as they did to Uganda in 2010 when they sent peacekeepers to Somalia. Two bombings occurred last week at the borders, killing civilians, and there have been further threats of attacking Nairobi as well. While this has been going on, we were passing by Nairobi, and we were told to tell people that we were from Europe if people asked where we came from. We also had to redirect our route so we did not pass through the center of Nairobi. Although I am completely safe where I am staying, the Kilimanjaro Bush Camp, the war has been on my mind a lot recently. I had been planning to spend two weeks after the program ended working in an orphanage in Nairobi and now, after talking to several people including my site director who gets many news from Nairobi, it looks as though I will have to cancel this part of my trip because the war is predicted to only get worse from there. Even in times of peace Nairobi is not the safest place to be and so during the war, especially if it gets worse, it is not the time for me to be by myself in Nairobi. I am deeply grieved by this change of events. I was especially excited to do this part of my trip, but I know I will just have to make it a reason to come back in a few years so I can finish what I intended (even though I fully intended to come back before this recent development).
      Another incident happened while we were at Lake Nakuru. The rains have turned the roads to mud. And let me tell you, this mud is unlike any I have seen. We were driving through the park after one particularly harsh storm and our car slid off the road into a huge ditch and I was convinced that we were going to roll over,which we nearly did. It took over an hour to pull the car out, and as soon as we were on the road again we were sliding back off into another terrifyingly close flip over. My heart still beats faster recalling the moment.
      While I am on the topic of danger, now that the rains are in full force – so are the bugs. They seem to be everywhere; some being nicer than others. One afternoon while I was cleaning I found an enormous centipede by the food of my bed, that was at least 4 inches long and very poisonous. I could have easily stepped on this little guy and lost the ability to walk within seconds. Yesterday, while going to the bathroom, I was visited by a hand-sized tarantula. And even though I wish I could say this is the worst part – it’s not. The snakes have come out and one of my close friends had a black mamba slither in-between her feet, and if she had stepped on it – it definitely would have bitten her.
There have been several other dangerous events lately that have had a very sobering effect on me that have made my quick smiles and laughs come much harder. One of my friends here was diagnosed with malaria while we were camping in Lake Nakuru. She was sent to the hospital in Nairobi for a few days, and although she is fine now, it was extremely frightening at the time. Not only this, but two other members of our staff had malarai as well and are still recovering. More than anything this has been a huge wake up call to the seriousness of this disease here. It is at the point where I am so used to taking my malrone in the morning that I don’t even remember why I take it. But the reality is so many people here are contracting this awful disease, and dying from it daily. While researching, I found that 26, 000 children in Kenya die every single day from malaria. I cannot be more grateful for that pill I take every morning. But at the same moment, taking that pill accompanies an incredible sense of guilt, as it is another reminder of the things that the people here will not have access to for a very long time, and will continue to suffer, while for some reason I was blessed into circumstances where having to take a malaria pill here can be taken for granted. 
 Yesterday we went to Loitokitok to explore and go to the market, and during this we also were able to visit an AIDS/HIV clinic. Several women were there to greet us, and as we all sat in a circle together, they shyly opened up and told us their heart-wrenching stories. Even as I write this, my heart aches as I learned the details of the truth of what they have to face;the majority of it being a ghastly surprise which I had not even the slightest idea. I am hesitant to share these stories now, because they were entrusted to me in that circle, but I know that the only way to find help for these people is to know their stories. I pray that I am giving justice to them. 
One woman found out she contracted the disease from her husband, while she still had a small child. She was afraid that her baby would have the disease as well, especially since it is easily contracted through breast milk. Luckily the baby did not have the disease. She found out she was pregnant again soon after words, and she was afraid that this second child would surly have AIDS. But, once again, the baby was clean. She calls him her “miracle” baby and she told us it was only because of God that the baby did not have the disease.She handed around a picture of herself while she was in the hospital, and her friends where around her laying hands on her praying.This instantly brought to mind the verse:

James 5:14-16 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up.

 The next lady expressed that  she found out her 12 year old son had it from getting his hair shaved, as they had used an infected blade. Another lady was telling us that once they found out she had the disease they put her in a room by herself and treated her worse than a dog;  putting her food at the door, never touching her or talking to her. Many of the people here don’t understand how AIDS is contracted, and therefore when they find out that someone is ill, they are afraid to even touch or talk to the person.
Many of these ladies, while they were extremely sick, had so much pain in certain areas of their bodies that they couldn't even move them. One ladies 13 year old daughter dropped out of school so that she could care for her mother, because everyone else refused to. The women here joined this support group and each women expressed their whole-hearted gratitude for finding a place where they were finally able to be loved again and feel at home. At the beginning we all introduced ourselves and told the ladies where we are from. When it came to them, each of them said she was from "Boma la Tumaini", the name of the clinic, calling it their true home. Here, although the disease still has no known cure, they have access to medicines that are helping reduce the symptoms. The clinic also offers them some employment as they are taught how to do extravagant bead work – which is perfect because it requires very little physical exertion. They also do volunteer work to help run a testing center which will test people for free and give them knowledge on how it is spread and how they can find help if they are infected. They also give free counseling for families who do not know how to face the news. The name “Boma la Tumaini” means “home for hope”. This place could not have a more true name.
Even though this is a small ray of hope for the enormous pain that suffocates Africa in the form of this disease, it was an extremely agonizing day for me. Although we all hear the statistics such as “in the sub-saharan areas of Africa, 22,500,000 people are living with AIDS, and there are14,800,000 orphans whose parents died from AIDS" which always make a general impression, but it is still hard to imagine the actual reality of this. A statistic can never express what it is like to be disowned by your family, be treated like an animal, and known you can never safely have children again. In Kenya alone, 1,500,000 people have AIDS, which means 1 in every 25 people I meet have AIDS. I am longing to be able to do more for these people, but I am overwhelmed with the vastness of the problem and despair and am plagued by the thought that my help would mean nothing in the grand picture of this. But even as I write that I know that if everyone thinks this, no one will ever be helped. Maybe all it takes is each person taking the time to help one other person.
Needless to say- this country needs prayer. Pray for the rains to come, for the millions of people suffering with AIDS and malaria, pray for the war, pray for safety. And most importantly, don’t stop praying. Even though I am living in Africa, I still am discovering every single day how much more they need it than I had thought the previous day.
These tribulations in my journey here in Africa have led me to bleed even more of my heart and soul into the land here. Even minutes ago I was talking to my dear friend about going home in a mear 21 days, and we both starred at each other with our eyes dripping tears as we wondered to one another on how we can ever go back to the life we led after having lived here. The answer is simple. We won't. We won't ever be the same: Africa will always be the thought in the back of our heads through every action in every day and no matter how many words I use in every blog, no matter how many times I tell these stories, no one will ever be able to truly understand unless you have come and lived on this soil yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment