Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Where the African Adventure Begins


Many people have asked me over the last 3 months "why Africa"? I mean, I could have gone to Italy, Germany, Ireland, Australia ... But instead I decided to go to the middle of a third world country for 14 weeks where I will have no hot water, minimal internet, hand washed clothes and sleep in a hut full of bugs and surrounded by lions. People give me this crazy look like this might be the last time they see me, but I just laugh and think how I will be living in luxury compared to the rest of the country's living conditions. 

It almost started off as a joke. I would tell my friend that I just wanted to go away to Africa in order to escape all of the daily problems that constantly burdened me. I felt very similar to the well known Max in "Where the Wild Things Are" as he dreamed of a world far away to escape his childhood frustrations. But in reality, I had never seriously considered studying abroad, let alone living in Africa. 

And then, something changed. I began to feel society’s wants and wills push me in the direction of the worldly concerns - or more appropriately "American" concerns. I felt myself yearning for a deeper meaning in life, a greater sanctity in which nothing was taken for granted and everything was a blessing. 

More than that, however, I feel that I do not have a deep sense of self identity. I have let people influence me to the point where it is difficult to be true to myself. I believe that all individuals need a deep rooted sense of who they are, and more importantly - why they are that way, before it can be completely clear how to travel down the rest of the road called life. I want to find this sense inside of me - of independence, purpose and identity. But I believe the first step in doing that is going out of the ordinary and taking risks and going on adventures (well at least for me it is). 

 After this realization, I discovered the School for Field Studies program to Kenya and Tanzania and I knew instantly that this is what I was supposed to do. Here I could study what I am passionate about: wildlife and conserving the beauty within our world while more importantly, gaining a true understanding of the world - and maybe, just maybe - make a difference. 

There is no doubt in my mind that this will be the most challenging thing I will do up to this point in my life: but I am ready. In fact I am craving the challenge to step outside of my comfort zone and of the fantasy I am living in and experience the reality of the world. I want to be able to inspire my generation to breathe in a new perspective of the world that does not involve the latest movies, nicest gadgets, or fastest cars. The reality is that there ARE starving people in Africa, and most of the time, no one considers the possibility that they can make a difference and sadly enough, many wouldn’t care to make a difference if they could.

The adventure is only 10 days away and even as I type it, I don't believe it. I've never been out of the country before and am terrified; but luckily my excitement washes the terror into only a lingering feeling in the back of my mind. I hope this gives you some insight into why I am traversing the world, and what I might gain from it. I will come back shaken and different to be sure: no such experience can leave your identity untouched, as our experiences define us.

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified or afraid because of them; for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you.”
Deuteronomy 31:6 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I have know doubt that you'll get to find out more about the person you are inside. I'll miss you, friend, but I look forward to the stories you'll tell me when we meet again.

    ReplyDelete